First Latin American Baptist Church
6205 W. Fort
In the year 1924, Mr. & Mrs. Francisco Esquivel came to Detroit to visit relatives who lived in this community. Seeing that there was no evangelistic or established work for Mexican Baptist, this family and a small group of believers, who met in homes, became concerned. They met with the pastor of Woodward Avenue Baptist Church who worked with Dr. H. C. Gliess of the Baptist Missionary Association of Detroit to appropriate financial aid and a temple.
Dr. Gliess granted the use of an empty temple on the corner of 25th and Magnolia St. in Detroit. Due to lack of full-time leadership and few members, their first efforts failed. Several attempts afterwards at different buildings (Jones St. and 2667 Baker St.) also failed. Finally, in May 1926, the Baptist Missionary Association called Rev. W. G. Birch to come to Detroit to take on full-time missionary work.
In July 1927, the fast growing mission relocated back to the original temple at 3606 25th Street. On January 27, 1930, this mission was recognized as a church and was admitted into the American Baptist Association under the name of “First Mexican Baptist Church of Detroit”.
Due to the growth of the congregation, the 25th street temple was sold on May 5, 1966. For the next ten months Immanual Baptist Church, located at 6205 W. Fort, allowed the Church to meet in its annex building. To our surprise one evening, Rev. Charles W. Masemoore and his congregation voted to sell us their beautiful temple and annex building for $50,000. On May 20, 1967 we held a dedication service for this temple we worship in today. It was during this time of spiritual height that the Church changed its name to the “First Latin American Baptist Church” to include brethren of all Hispanic origin. The Pastors of our Church to date are:
The Magnolia Street Church Congregation:
If you would like to add or remove anything, please email: email@example.com